Monday, July 14, 2008

Summer Reading

This post is devoted to the summer reading of Meredith, Russ, and Rachel. Matt's reading is currently about Digital Signal Processing and writing in C computer program language....so I'm just going to skip over him :)


goodnight moon

Russ enjoys having books read to him, and we really try to carve out individual reading time for our son. Sometimes this is easier said than done, but some of his favorites are Goodnight Moon, Corduroy, and Mama Loves Me.

The Potty Book for girls, VGUC

Meredith is still enjoying many of her favorite books. These days she likes to recite the books back to you. Some of her favorites are The Potty Book for Girls, Tails, and Peek-a-Boo.

I am convinced that my kids favorite part of reading is getting to take most of the books off the shelf to find just the right book. Meredith has started a not-so-favorable habit of taking most of the books off the shelf and spreading them out on the floor. However, we are very thankful that our kids have an interest in reading, so I'm happy to spend a couple extra minutes cleaning up if it helps our kids learn.


flowers for algernon

On to my list of good reads. I started off the summer with Flowers for Algernon, and that is a "classic" book that I would recommend. The rest of my reading has been centered on Bible Studies and Christian writings. A group of ladies from church did a book study on the book Balcony People that was really good. A nice short book that discusses affirmers and evaluators in our lives, and how important it is to be an affirmer, or Balcony Person, in the lives of our family and friends. Another good one was Is That All He Thinks About? at the suggestion of this blog. It was a great book on intimacy, and I was really convicted about things in the entertainment media and how they affected my view of that 3 letter word. Let's just say that I now fast-forward through a lot of the soap operas.


Finally, my two current reads are Between Sundays and Refresh. Between Sundays is a Karen Kingsbury fiction book that I am about 100 pages into. She again does not disappoint the reader, and I think did an excellent job of captivating the reader early in this book. Refresh is a summer bible study book, that takes a look at several women and the struggles that they face. While most of the struggles seem more extreme than anything I may have been through, it does have good application questions and helps you to focus on the #1 thing - honoring and serving God.

What are you guys reading? Any good books I should reserve at my local library?

8 comments:

Susan said...

I remember watching Flowers for Algernon in like 8th grade. It was sad. I'm reading Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand currently with my book club. It's huge, but supposed to be fantastic! We're just starting it if you want to join!

Dawne C. said...

Have you already read Same Kind of Different As Me?

Beth said...

I need to go to Barnes and Noble and go exploring for new books! I haven't had time to read much because I read so much at work that I'm too tired to read at home! I like World War II and Holocaust history books. Some of my favorites are "Night" by Elie Wiesel, "All But My Life" by Gerda Weisman Klein, and "Under a War-Torn Sky" (can't remember the author). All really great books!

Rebekah said...

I LOVE Goodnight Moon!

Kim McGaughey said...

I just finished My Sister's Keeper - it was really good but be prepared to cry - alot

-Shane, Michele & Wolffe said...

I'm reading "Six Million Angels: Stories from 20 Years of Angel Tree's Ministry to the Children of Prisoners" right now. It's a tear jerker for sure, but it is a great book that tells about how this ministry began and some of the kids who have been a part of it.

Clay and J said...

i'll have to check out between sundays. i like karen kingsbury, but my favorite author is francine rivers. she is fabulous!

Basham said...

You are such a good mom! My mother used to do summer reading programs with us and she made us think it was a big deal to go to the library! haha