Friday, April 25, 2008

Flashback Friday

So this week, since I have been busy with my garden and I ran into this picture; I thought I would flashback to our first garden experience. As you can tell, it was pretty pathetic! Three lonely and very small sweet potatoes was all we got our first tryout. Now, extension will always tell you "Get a soil sample, it will help you." Yes -- please do, or you'll end up like these sweet things.

This year is going pretty strong. We have enjoyed our over-wintered greens, our garlic looks good (at least from above ground), our herbs have popped back up, and we just planted some tomatoes, eggplant, and squash. Lets hope that those blossom, because I heard that tomatoes went up 28% since last year. Yikes!

You may be asking yourself, "Well, do the kids like to garden?" Well, Meredith does enjoy being outside, and she also likes to water the plants and gets her shovel out and "helps." She has learned the words lettuce and spinach and points to those rows of plants. We think she's pretty special :) I'm sure Russ will be playing in the garden soon enough



3 comments:

Jenny said...

I was thinking of you today actually. We have a fenced in patio and not really any room for a proper garden of sorts but I have several planters started. I went to pick out a few more herbs/veggies and was thinking of your lovely garden. = )

Susan said...

I wish I had a green thumb, but it's black. And my Mom is a Master Gardener! Obviously, the talent is not genetic.

her said...

cute!~ HEY RACHEL...is yourlink to the Lowery family the same fam from PArk Hill? It looks like Ben!

jOY, dEBI