Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Psalms of Ascent - Week 1

Tuesday morning is bible study time for this blogger, and I thought that I would try to blog each Tuesday about what God is teaching me as a way to stay accountable to the study and let you readers know more about what is going on in my life.

The Psalms of Ascent are a group of 15 psalms from Psalm 120-134. They all begin with the words "A song of ascent" in my bible. Today I learned that the Hebrew meaning of the word ascent is "to go up," and about the 3 main associations with these psalms (pilgrimage, temple steps, and returning from captivity). It's another Bible Study written by Beth Moore.

There were so many gems from this first day, but I think that the thing that struck me the most today was almost an aside -- I am not big enough to mess God up. It is truly a blessing to know that when I falter or even when I just don't know what I am doing, God's plan is and will be fulfilled. It's not about me, but all about God. I am so thankful to be doing this study, and pray that you will also be moving step-by-step closer to God.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Rachel, I can't wait to see what you learn each week!!!

-Shane, Michele & Wolffe said...

What a great message to walk away with. I love Beth Moore. One of the great things about living in Houston is that she is from here as well. One of these days I am going to attend one of her Bible studies here. I haven't been able to yet, but I hope to be able to go next time around.

Shana said...

Yep...nothing takes God by surprise. He will always work for the good of those that love Him...even if it hurts!

her said...

Rachel...I am the mother of Shana Dantzler and wanted to encourage you w/the Beth Moore Bible study. I was the facilitator for our ladies group at church and am thankful for what I learned. It only gets better...I also worked at Lifeway in Nashville and was privleged to work on this project. If you look real hard you will see me in the video too but the neatest part was working on the actual programming to get this study together. Sorry to take so much space but I wanted to encourage you on this journey..Think about the women back then, they were only alowed to go to the steps....the yhad to wait till their men folk got out of the temple to hear what was talked about and experienced...NOW b/c of Jesus, we women can walk right into the holy of holies!!!It can't get any better than that!
Joy, Debi Ogle