Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Psalms of Ascent - Week 2

It's been a very rewarding and rejuvenating week of bible study for me his past week. By God's grace I was able to finish all my homework for the week, and felt prepared to contribute to the group.

We worked through Psalms 120 and 121 this week, and started on 122. The first being a cry out to God, the second recognizing that God is our protector, and the last a song about the people of Jerusalem. I have been challenged to truly mean what I pray and pray what I mean. I've realized that this can be a difficult thing to do when you really want something else to happen.

I'm reminded of when I was growing up and thinking "What if God comes back before I can get married" or "What if he comes back before I have kids." Sometimes my thoughts turn to the future and wanting to be able to watch my kids get married, have kids of their own, or grow old with my husband. God willing I hope that all of those things happen, but when I was asked to pray for the peace of Jerusalem in the last day of homework this week I was really conflicted. Praying for that kind of peace means praying for the 2nd coming of the Messiah and that means that my dreams must take a backseat. That's a hard pill to swallow!

Of course the major flaw in this thinking is selfishness. I must remember that God has much greater things in store for us as his children. So my prayer is that anytime I think that my way is better, no matter how much I want it, that I remember that His plan is Best!

2 comments:

her said...

Rachel, I could not have said it better! We must let go of self in order for God to do His best in and thru us...it's definately not easy, but most rewarding after you get thru to the other side. I understand the thoughts of future with kids, husbands, and for your parents and Mr Steve & I...grandchildren! The neat thing is....SO DOES GOD! I will continue to say "even so Lord, come quickly."
I have put your blog in my favorites and you may put me in yours. Please tell your momma hi from me!! Glad the yare still @ PHBC.

Joy, Ms Debi

her said...

Rachel, I sat down today an looked thru your entire blog...and I have one ?? and one comment.

??....who is Dee Dee? That is my grndmother name for my granddaughters...so it intriged me.

comment....I saw a pic of your mom! It was so good to see her face! have her email me:debisjoy@yahoo.com

Joy, Ms Debi