Tuesday, December 2, 2008

A Mother's Joy

I remember a little over a year ago wondering across from the diaper aisle to this fabulous section called potty supplies. My face must have glowed as I saw the little potties in boxes that said 18 month+. Perfect for my almost 20 month old, and with this new little pumpkin in my belly about the pop - one less thing to worry about, right? My mom had said not only was I trained at the ripe old age of 2, but that I practically trained my little sister and she was standing at the potty at 18 months just waiting for someone to pick her up and place her on her porcelain throne. Meredith obviously came from a long line of potty princesses, and was sure to quickly catch onto the idea.

So, beautiful baby Russell comes and mommy just doesn't have the time or energy to put into cleaning up messes that darling daughter may have in her undies (and floor). Spring and Summer roll around, and the magic pull-up pants seem to Meredith as just pretty diapers. Fall comes, and I am convinced that I will not be able to send my brilliant child to Pre-3K next year because we will still be struggling with "pee pee goes in the potty, not in our pants."

So, finally the foot was set down a few weeks ago. Rule #1 - No pat-pat, unless we use the potty. What is pat-pat, you are asking yourselves? Well, that is the beloved gang of Annie, June, Quincy, and Leo (and Rocket, too) who currently take up 1/2 of our DVR space for the kids show Little Einsteins.

After a couple of weeks of "I had an accident" and "I need a napkin for the floor" being professed on a daily basis, I was about the give up and wait for this to be yet another new years resolution. But, imagine my surprise yesterday as I hear the sweet sound of liquid flowing into the potty as my child gives the proudest smile I have seen. And, so far so good as we have been able to watch "pat-pat" a few more times as well.

While I know that I have a ways to go before we are free of the messes that may be made, let's just say that this early Christmas present may be my favorite this year.

6 comments:

Rebecca (Sam's wife) said...

hilarious! so glad that is going better for you. my mom would say when they are ready that is when it happens. she likes to remind me how much "fun" i was. ha! i wasn't exactly a princess as you put it.

The Smith Family said...

Congrats! I too have slacked and will have to get serious come late this winter to spring! First I need to get this little man who is sucking the life out of me here first!!! Doctor is thinking of inducing the week before christmas...yea 2 weeks left!!!

Basham said...

So I have to admit I did laugh because I am not there in life...but someday you will be doing the same to me! I am glad to hear she was successful!

coble said...

Be patient it took us almost 3.2 years to potty train Taylor. We finally had to have a weekend outside in the back yard in just our underwear – and that worked like magic. And at 4.5 he is still not potty trained at night. It is so much harder than it seems, but she will get it soon.

her said...

Attached you will find a picture of Christmas bows that my daughter makes ...these are her Seasonal bows. All proceeds will go directly to their Adoption Fund for little Ellagrace who will make her way into our hearts next summer.

Anything you can do to help this family toward their goal is most wonderfully appreciated.

Cost is $5.00 per bow!

Shana said that she has already mass produced these so they can be ordered this week and mailed out in time for that ever-so-cute Christmas picture w/the family!

Anything you can do to get this fundraiser out to others would be appreciated...Ms Debi

her said...

yeah! Potty training is the greatest...but remember....that like potty training, "grounded" inthe teen years are very similiar...b/c in either case, you as the parent, can't go anywhere till the deed is done!

I am happy for ya....it's just the next step in her becoming a more grown up child...and remember "You're not raising children,you are raising audults."

Joy, Debi