Saturday, December 20, 2008

A little perspective

This past week has been a bit of a crazy one at our house. The low notes were as follows: an illness gave a major set-back in potty success, a son began climbing onto everything in the house (chairs, tables, and potty), a friend lost a beloved pet, and a house that looks like a disaster area. However, we have been blessed with so much good news as well: friends who have announced they are pregnant, births of new babies, parties with co-workers and friends, and time with family have brought so much joy to our life.

So, I had been on the verge of tears for most of the day. Potty regression - my biggest fear - seems to be staring me in the face. Reading the handwritten Date Ball recipe of my departed grandmother made me wish that she could be here for Christmas. Hair pulling and toy taking were about to send this mom to her own personal time out spot.

It wasn't until this evening that I realized how blessed I truly am today. Meredith and I were waiting at the Sushi place for dinner for Matt and me. I see that Nancy Grace is on TV, and they are discussing the Caylee Anthony case. The show is replaying a scene of the young 2 year old sitting at a table reading a book with her grandparents. I guess that I had become numb to the story, until these words are released from my own 2 year old's mouth, "She is reading a book." My answer was of course "That's exactly right, dear. Good job."

But, as the news reports that the recent discovery of a bones were that of the young girl, I think to myself "She was reading a book." And as the feelings turn into sweet tears down my cheek, I am reminded of how blessed I really am. Though the days may be rough and messy, and the nights sleepless and way too short - how privileged am I to live this life. While I may not feel like Carpe Diem each day, I am at least dwelling in the life that was set for me by a powerful Heavenly Father who sent a Savior who's birth we celebrate in only 5 short days.

Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men. Luke 2:14 (KJV)

2 comments:

The Henrys said...

Thank you for the wonderful perspective! We all need a good reminder during this busy time. I feel you on the potty training regression. Maddie did it 3 times! She was almost 3 before it really clicked. Good luck to you!

Jenny said...

God gives everything to us at the right time. We just have to be patient and not try to second guess...or at least I keep telling myself that. Hang in there! You are a fantastic mom.

I am thinking of you and your lovely family. Merry Christmas!