Tuesday, March 4, 2008

In Memoriam

The beloved Davis family pet, Sam, passed away peacefully in his sleep this morning. He lived a full 91 years of life, in dog years anyways; but gave his family a wonderful 13 years. Sam loved his walks around the lake, riding in the car, leftovers from his family going out to eat, burrowing under the blanket, and laying out in the afternoon sun in the bedroom. He absolutely despised the vacuum cleaner and was not a big fan of the bath tub.


Sam was the first, and really only, pet I've ever had. As all pets, he was there for so many good times, and snuggled up next to me when I was feeling sad. So, while its a sad day for us I am so thankful to have had a pet that was so good to us these past 13 years.


Meredith really enjoyed Sam as well. Sam taught her that we don't touch tails, and anytime she sees a tail (on any animal) she says "No no." So please be in prayer for our family as we adjust to life without our faithful pal.




I am comforted by Paul's letter to the Romans today:

I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us. The creation waits in eager expectation for the sons of God to be revealed. For the creation was subjected to frustration, not by its own choice, but by the will of the one who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself will be liberated from its bondage to decay and brought into the glorious freedom of the children of God. Romans 8:18-21

9 comments:

The Smith Family said...

I am so sorry about Sam! I teared up when I read it! He was my away from home pet :( I totally understand how you feel and will pray for you and especially your parents!

Leslie said...

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I am dreading the day when Corkie, now 15 passes away. Our animals bring us so much joy and companionship. I will be thinking and praying for you and your family.

Rebecca (Sam's wife) said...

I am so sorry to hear about your pet. It made me sad and I couldn't not comment. I know your husband because our parent's played bridge together a LONG time ago. I think we have some mutual friends now too. your kids are adorable!!

steverdavis said...

What a tribute to our wonderful doggie woggie!!
Sam was a true friend and companion. Sam loved barbequed ribs, but he hated vacuum cleaners.

We will miss you, old buddy. We will never forget you. Thanks for the memories!!

Rachel said...

rebecca and sam -- Thanks for leaving a comment! If you have a blog of your own, be sure and let me know. Maybe we'll see each other around town:)

steverdavis -- Welcome to Blogger, dad:)

Jeremy and Melissa said...

I am so sorry to hear about Sam. When our Rudy died a few years ago, I cried the entire way to work (my mom told me on the phone). I'll be thinking of your family.

Rebecca (Sam's wife) said...

it is zellmerfud.blogspot.com

Beth said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Sam. It is so hard to lose a pet. But, it is a comfort to think about how they bless our lives.

Susan said...

So sorry about your loss. I teared up reading this post as well. Pets are truly valued family members. And remember, All Dogs go to Heaven.