Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Red Spider Lillies

While on my blogging break, the fall equinox came and that means its time for these very usual and quick flowering plants to pop up. The red spider lily, also known as the naked lady, made its appearance in our front flower bed. Almost like magic, the stem pops out of the ground without any leaves and blooms for about a week at the end of September. It will leave behind a bit of ground cover, but its so easily forgotten that these plants are even under the ground for the rest of the year.

I love the visual reminder that something unusual and beautiful will pop up at the right time.

3 comments:

The Henrys said...

Thanks for this post. I have seen these everywhere here and did not know what they were as my plant knowledge is not extensive at all!

Jenny said...

That is very cool! It looks like something tropical I would expect to find in my grandmother's yard. = )

her said...

Thanks for sharing this beautiful flower...I have seen them before but didnot know their name!

Don't you just love taking pics of flowers and plant life? I am always taking pics of such things...and my family just waits patiently or just keeps on walking.

Joy, Mrs Debi