Monday, September 8, 2008

Woo Pig Sooie

It had been a while since my last in person football game, so a special day was had by Matt and me at the Razorback game in Little Rock this weekend. As you can tell, we got the cheap seats in the upper corner but had a nice view of the field (and most, if not all the points the Hogs scored, were down on our end, so it ended up being A-OK).

When we walked into the game, the AR Department of Homeland Security was handing out Emergency Preparedness guides. Bad omen, you think --- well, at least this game was pulled out in the 4th quarter - and the rocks did not rumble to cause a massive earthquake that the pamphlet expressed was going to happen. Good thing too, because I am apparently woefully unprepared for an emergency of that magnitude. However, when Arkansas was playing very poorly, I did brush up on my "to do" list in an emergency, and tried the block out the fans around me yelling only what I am sure, in some other language, was positive reinforcement. I'll have to work on always having a 1/2 tank of gas.

This year is the 60th anniversary of War Memorial Stadium, and many tributes by the band, players, and stadium staff helped make it memorable. I loved how the band made a 60 and played Happy Birthday.

Typically, War Memorial is a very loud place; but I think that the life was just sucked right out of the fans until the rally in the 4th quarter. It was hard to watch, but even harder not to think about what the season may look like in October and November. You want to be an optimist, but those pesky realist thoughts are staring right at you on the field.

It was nice to revisit the game that I spent many Saturdays attending while in college. The traditions, the crowd, and the loyalty rushed me back to a time before kids, jobs, and marriage that I rarely drift away to in my daily life of potty breaks and toy playing. It does feel like a lifetime ago, but then again it was 10 years since I first arrived on campus. Man, I am no longer a spring chicken :)

Quick Question to Kristina and Shannon - Do either of you guys have the picture that we took with the Old Fan with the Scooter our freshman year? The guy that we never saw again, and we assumed that something must have happened to that devoted fan? I think my picture is gone for good :(

4 comments:

The Smith Family said...

wow, I must have killed that braincell because I have absolutely no recollection that picture! But then again I can remember things that happened yesterday....pregnancy brain!

Jenny said...

I miss those days! The best I can do now is drive to Ft. Lauderdale for a viewing party with some "more mature" alums now retired to South Florida. It just isn't the same!

Jennifer Skoff said...

Hey Guys, remember us? Glad to see ya'll are having fun and doing well.

Susan said...

Days before children?! What? Setler is only 16 months, and I can't remember then...then sometimes I can vividly. He spent the night with his Nana Sat. Sun. morning, Seth and I slept in and leisurely ate breakfast and watched some tv. Seth asked, "Is this what we used to do before Set?"