Sunday, September 23, 2007

Bible Sunday

Today was Bible Sunday at Park Hill. At the beginning of each year, our new first graders are given a copy of the Bible from the church. It's hard to believe that its been 21 years since I received my Bible from the church, but I am so glad that the tradition continues to this day.

We are taught from a very young age that the Word is living and active, and to set its words in our hearts. It holds the very words of God, and is a guidebook for life. However, today our pastor told the kids that its the most important story, and the one story that makes all other stories make sense. I had never thought of the Bible in that way -- probably because us Baptists place so much emphasis on the Bible being concrete and the exact Word of God that the word "story" doesn't seem adequate enough to define the Bible. However, today I was reminded of all the Parables in the New Testament that Jesus used to teach, and how even the Savior knew that telling a story was a good way to teach the Truth.

I'm so thankful that God still teaches us through his stories in the Bible, and that he still speaks to me even after all these years of having a copy of his Word. Now that is a Living Book!

1 comment:

Mauree said...

I am so excited you started a blog. I will have to link yours to mine. I am glad to hear you are doing so well. I can't believe Russell will be here so soon.