Thursday, February 19, 2009

Oh how the DVR has changed our lives

Great Pumpkin

As a child of the 21st century, Meredith would not recognize the way I grew up. When she wants to watch a TV show, she knows that mommy and daddy can turn on the TV, push a few buttons, and find the exact show that she wants to watch. While this is a great achievement in technology, it does have some unexpected consequences.

The beloved Charlie Brown shows are a favorite and last fall we taped The Great Pumpkin episode for the enjoyment of our toddlers. Image my surprise to hear that the following words come out of darling daughter, "If you hold my hang, I'll slug you."

I was quite concerned with this rather harsh language that came out of my child's mouth. But, Sally sure did tell Linus that in the pumpkin patch waitng for the Great Pumpkin to arrive (I honestly thought that a line like that HAD to come out of the mouth of Lucy). However, Matt is elated. He has conqured Step 1 in future dating challenges - punch out any boy that comes close to you. Oh how our lives will never be the same again.

8 comments:

The Smith Family said...

we too have DVR'ed all the charlie brown holiday shows! They are very mean to each other and call each other names...couldn't get away with that today...LOL! How are things going on your end? You need to start planning your trip to houston to meet mr. clayton!

Clay and J said...

I can't wait for Gracie to enjoy those old favorites! Loved the update.

Stephanie said...

That is too funny!

Basham said...

Very cute!

Jenny said...

It is funny how we miss the little parts of shows like that but kids catch onto it. Very cute story!

her said...

Shana had a crush on John (from PH) when she was a teenager..and one Sun nite Mr Steve was coming aroundthe corner to see her punch him in the arm for teasing her. (in front of his friends) Mr Steve was very proud to see that happen (her defending herself) but gently reminded her that IF she wanted to 'catch' John, she needed to be more ladylike..Tee-hee!

He always told our girls that 'boys were yuck' but he kinda likes the 'boy thing' b/c he now had grandchildren!!!! (SMILES ALL AROUND)

Joy, Ms Debi

Rebekah said...

I couldn't live without my DVR...we actually had it back when it was called TIVO. How ridiculous is that...that we find DVR a nesessity?!?! I am sure I will love it when I had TV watching kiddos!

Susan said...

That's hilarious! I bought the Christmas one this year, but want Great Pumpkin and Thanksgiving as well to have the whole collection.